Have you been struggling in your business for some time now? I struggled for 3 years trying to crack the code on government contracting to land my first lucrative government contract!
I felt like I was going in a million different directions trying everything I could think of, what I’d learned at school, and what I saw others doing. I even attended workshops and seminars on marketing to the government.
Just as scattered as I was with my efforts were the results I was getting.
I was getting sub par results.
I eventually started getting contracts $3,000 here, $1,000 there…small contracts – as I like to say – to pay the bills.
It was a lot of work to get those small little contracts. In construction, those are considered small contracts and to my bank account, they were considered small too!
When I finally stopped long enough to look at what I was doing, the results I was getting, and the money I was making…
- There was no strategy
- I didn’t do one thing long enough to see if it would actually work
If you’d asked I couldn’t tell you what I did except maybe what I put it in my calendar which would only include appointments and events.
I was chasing…
- Wasting time
- Wasting and losing money
- And I was frustrated
I knew other people that were successful in government contracting. I tried to peep what they were doing. I did what I saw them do. But it’s just like relationships. I didn’t know what was happening behind closed doors. The only thing I saw was the networking.
When I realized there had to be more. I got FOCUSED
- Everything had to be in alignment
- The size contracts I wanted and it wasn’t those $1K and $5K contracts
- The type of contractors
- Who was my customer, because everybody clearly is not!
What I now know is the secret is in what they were doing behind closed doors which are where the magic happens.
After facing reality and putting my BIG GIRL PANTIES on, I realized that I needed a STRATEGY instead of doing everything that came to mind or that I saw others doing.
I figured out who was my customer, their preferences, my business preferences, and my capacity to perform. I worked through all the agencies that could be my customer and I narrowed it down to the customers where we were in alignment.
After creating my strategy I realized marketing and sales happen both outside and inside the office.
Guess what, big contracts can happen inside your office too! $559,000 contracts like the one I land from sending an email!
Once I stopped running around trying to do everything I thought I needed to do and got focused and created a strategy, I experienced better results than the $23K year, I experienced…
- One email resulting in a $559K contract
- First EVER and not the last deposit into my bank account for a payment on a contract of $1,000,000 – yes ONE MILLION DOLLARS
- Consistent cash flow and able to increase my personal pay check
Bigger contracts or landing your first contract is possible and really easier when you…
- Get focused and know
- Your business preferences
- Who’s your customer
- What’s your capacity to perform
- What it takes to deliver your product or service
Having these things in place will make it easier
- Marketing strategy unique to your business
- Build key relationships that are mutually beneficial and profitable
- Add forecasting to your marketing mix
- Look at past awards for valuable contracting information
- Have a capabilities statement
- Know how to create your best deal
Get FOCUSED & Get a STRATEGY